Flexibility has become the norm for many companies. Shifts in technology, a changing market and streamlined workforces are just a few reasons why. Whilst some companies don’t have a formal set of rules for a flexible workplace, there are countless advantages to be gained by taking that flexible attitude on.
The advantages from an employee’s perspective.
- Embracing a change can expand your opportunities. Those employees who are able to adapt to priority shifts are considered a valuable asset no matter their skills or experience. Being able to adjust to shifts is necessary in today’s world.
- Get your work/life balance. As technology grows the lines between work and personal have blurred. Embrace the change, in this case going with the flow is the exact approach you should take rather than fighting the current. Whilst you may need to reply to the odd email in your evenings, you can use the flexibility to your advantage. Personal needs, once delegated to weekends alone, can be addressed more easily since we are always connected, in and out of the office.
- More responsive to change. Resisting change can lead to stress. Recognising and embracing flexibility will help you adapt to difficult situations more easily.
The advantages from the employer’s perspective.
- Signals you value diversity in the workplace. Differing cultures, religions, and employee needs mean that today’s employer must accommodate diversity when it comes to working, thinking and interacting with others. Being flexible will enable you to accommodate the needs of your diverse workforce more readily.
- Flexibility is a good management decision. Managers need to adapt to day-to-day shifts in workplace schedules – employee personal issues, an unexpected influx of work and more. Being flexible creates an environment where employers and employees can look at work and personal needs in a balanced approach, which is mutually beneficial.
- Being flexible is a win-win. Being flexible with your employees is good for business. It builds employee trust and commitment, helps attract and keep key talent, as well as drives everyone to find solutions that work for all those involved.